How can we reduce the excess stuff in our lives? There are many community enterprises and initiatives aiming to help people be more sustainable, save money, reduce consumption, and swap, lend or recycle stuff they don’t need. There are also many services enabling people to share resources like time, as well as physical objects like tools or office space. The ‘sharing economy’ is a term often used to describe this trend towards consumer-to-consumer sharing.
For our Experience Design project my group has chosen to look at how to connect people to community swap and share enterprises. We’re planning to design a service that can aggregate existing share services to enable users to find specific services relevant to them.
Here is some of our initial research…
Resources about community sharing/swapping
- Library of Things and spaces changing how we think about stuff – how these libraries become community assets
- Is the Library of Things an Answer to Our Peak Stuff Problem? The Guardian looks at community owned sharing enterprises
- Buy Sell Swap sites – Choice magazine review of online sharing sites
- Australian Gig and Sharing Economy Sites – a list of Australian sharing services, by category
- MyTurn – software for setting up lending libraries
- The Story of Stuff – a community/movement to reduce excess stuff!
Online community share/swap sites
- Library of Things – London library of tools, appliances, etc “Why buy when you can borrow”
- Fat Llama – a consumer-to-consumer rental service, based in the UK
- Toy Libraries Australia – find a toy library
- Crop Swap Australia – local growers and gardeners swap produce
- Live for Less – sustainable living for Brisbane folks (includes Brisbane Tool Library)
- ToolMates Hire – hire or rent tools
- Open Shed – unfortunately closed down Mar 2018. “Put your stuff to work. Earn money hiring your stuff. Find rentals at neighbourly prices”
- Mobilise – business-to-business rentals – businesses hire their stuff to other businesses
- Community Exchange System – exchange goods & services without money
- Streetbank – neighbours sharing things; giving away or lending stuff
- Freecycle – give stuff away or post about stuff wanted. International, bulletin board style
- Facebook Pay It Forward Group Brisbane – give away stuff! Lots of groups around the world.
- Economy of Hours (ECHO) – buy/sell/swap skills and time
- Share space: Spacer (rent storage/room space), Divvy (rent parking space) , RubberDesk (rent office space)
- Share vehicles: Camplify (rent camping vehicles), Car Next Door (rent private cars near you)
- Share pet care: MadPaws, PetCloud
- The Volte – borrow and lend designer fashion
- Kindershare – Share or lend baby equipment
Sharing economy communities or aggregators
- Sharing Hub – a community linking sharing platforms across Australia
- Sharemrkt – a Spanish-based comparator of sharing services (to rent, swap, upcycle, hire or experience)
- Share N Save: a crowdsourced map of initiatives and skills in South Australia that “helps people use less resources through better sharing of what we already have”