- Designing for Social Change: Andrew Shea’s book features 10 strategies that can improve the effectiveness of community-based projects.
ECHOS School of Design Thinking (Echos is an Innovation Lab, from Brazil)
- How do we know what the future holds? By Anne Lise Kjaer
- Wayback Machine – Archive of websites over time, dating back to 1994
- How the hyperlink changed everything
- The Impact of Digital Technologies on the Practice Of Graphic Design
- Before there was Photoshop – Designing a layout with traditional design tools
- The Genius of the London Tube map – Michael Bierut (Pentagram) tells the story of this famous piece of information design
- Tufte and Information Design – How does ID pioneer Edward Tufte’s thinking apply in the digital age of information visualisation?
- Responsive logo design – Branding has adapted to suit a range of uses and devices
- The Death of All Websites is Coming – will voice/AI interfaces make websites defunct?
Enhanced Design Tools
- Laser Cutting with Adobe Illustrator – Beginner’s guide to setting up files in Illustrator for laser cutting output
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Laser Cutting
- Electronic popables – laser-cut pop-up books combined with simple electronics
- Laser cut art book by Olafur Eliasson
- 3D Printing & Technology Convergence – Recent breakthroughs in 3D printing, and near future predictions
- The End of the Digital Divide in Services – how digital and physical services have converged. “Nowadays every product, service or organisation needs to act digitally and physically. The distinction between the “physical” and the “digital” world as two separate things is becoming more and more blurred.”
- Everything is a service – The producer-driven economy is giving way to a new, customer centred world
- Project research: Swap/library/sharing resources:
- Library of Things and spaces changing how we think about stuff – how these libraries become community assets
- Is the Library of Things an Answer to Our Peak Stuff Problem? The Guardian looks at community owned sharing enterprises
- Buy Sell Swap sites – Choice magazine review of online sharing sites
- MyTurn – software for setting up lending libraries
- The Story of Stuff – a community/movement to reduce excess stuff!
Disruptive design quotes
“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible.” Miguel De Unamuno